Why is it important?
If you are a business owner, work, no doubt, becomes a major priority. And as a business owner, many don't manage to take any time off during the year, due to keeping up with the demands of running their business.
The Christmas/New Year holiday period is usually one of the only times, as a business owner, you can take time out as your clients are on holiday too (unless you are in hospitality or retail in tourist locations).
Self-care is important for your mind, health and spirit. So here are some tips to practice during the holiday period, and hopefully they become routine and you take them into the new year with you!
1. Give yourself permission to slow down. There is a lot of pressure during this time of year, particularly if you're the one hosting or planning the gatherings of friends and families. But it's okay to take it slowly and have breaks along the way, you don't need to rush!
2. Ask for help when you need it. Having a lot on your plate and trying to balance everything that needs to get done is very stressful and overwhelming so don't be afraid to ask for help.
3. Be kind to yourself. It's very cliche but it's important to not be hard on yourself! We often set very high expectations for how much we can achieve especially during this time of year, but it's good to remind ourselves that there is only so much we can do and we need to be ok with that.
4. Set aside time to do activities or hobbies that you enjoy and that relax you. Things such as reading, walking/hiking, taking a bath, listening to music or enjoying some TV, are all good options. If you don't currently have anything that you find relaxing, have a look online for some ideas and try something new!
5. Get Sleep. Sleep is important for your health. It improves your brain performance, mood, and overall health. So don't stay up too late or at least give yourself permission to sleep in if you can. Plus if you are able, don't feel guilty about taking a siesta. It's a part of life for the Spanish, and a way they also survive the heat of the day - so might be something to consider with the host summer meteorologists are predicting for this summer!